- Hypernet - hypertext.
- Hypermedia, media, pics, sounds.
- Superficial, uncritical, trivial.
- Viewing figures to measure success.
- Audience is dispersed.
- Audience is disempowered.
- Encourages the Status Quo (conservative).
- Encourages apathy.
- Power held by the few motivated by profit or social control (propaganda).
- Bland, escapist and standardised.
- Encourages escapism, seen as a drug which anaethetises us.
- Not all mass media is of low quality.
- Social problems and injustices are discussed the the media.
- Creativity can be a feature of mass media.
- Transmission of high art material reaches a broader audience.
- Democratic potential.
Warhol 1962 - Marilyns - Kitch colours. Production of celebrity glamour masks.
Repetition of images desensitises us
Warhol 1963 - Ambulance Disaster
Art styles claimed to companies or sectors of society - Loreal, Rolling Stones, Franz Ferdinand.
Marcus Harvey 1995 Myra Hinley mass murderer public photograph. Handprints from kids make to the picture relating to murdered children.
- New media are changing the way we consume and read text and image.
- Theorists of the mass media have different viewpoints seeing it either as - negative and a threat or positive pleasurable and democratic.