Main thrust of my argument
- Media influences society through many different mediums. I will look at what the media does to influence people and how the audience is actually influenced... good/bad.
- Short term and long term effects of this - beauty, admiration/ debt, envy.
- Look deeper into the emotional side of why people are materialistic.
- The media and its 'Gaze'.
Texts to reference
- Identity - Zygmunt Bauman This book explores the notion of identity in the modern world.
- The Language of Fashion - Roland Barthes I have a big interest in fashion and would like to keep this as a key part of my essay.
- The Fashion System - Roland Barthes "The aim of fashion is to create desire".
- Media, Gender and Identity, An Introduction - David Gauntlett This book looks at all different aspects of identity.
- Media, Gender and Identity, An Introduction (2nd edition) - David Gauntlett This book talks about traditional and modern icons.
- Media & Society, Critical Perspectives - Graeme Burton This book gives a quick introduction to media studies and uses real life case studies.
'Real' women are not acceptable to look at on the front of a magazine. An image of 'fake' beauty and perfection is shown by the media giving the public unachievable aspirations.